How we help
100% of our profits go towards achieving our mission in supporting young people affected by homelessness or hardship.
HoMie Pathway Alliance
At least 12 times a year, HoMie closes its doors to the public and invites young people connected to homelessness support services to shop for free at the HoMie Street Store. Each VIP shopper is welcomed into our store for a day of pampering and fun.
VIP shoppers receive five free items of brand-new HoMie clothing, haircuts, beauty services, and lunch with our friendly team. Apart from clothing, HoMie provides a dignified shopping experience, increased social inclusion, and feelings of connectedness for young Melbournians affected by homelessness or hardship.
VIP Shopping Days
Each month, clients connected to youth homelessness support services are invited to shop for free at the HoMie Street Store. VIP customers not only receive five complimentary items of brand-new clothing (at their own discretion) and a dignified shopping experience, but also receive free nutritious food, haircuts, and beauty services. VIP Days aim to increase social inclusion, connectedness and confidence for Melbourne’s community of people experiencing homelessness.
- There are approximately 116,000 people in Australia experiencing homelessness.
- Roughly 43,500 are under the age of 25.
- The majority of young people experiencing homelessness are not sleeping rough. They are sleeping on couches, in cars, in overcrowded dwellings and refuges.
- The main causes of Youth Homelessness are family breakdown and family violence.
- More than half of these young people experiencing homelessness are unemployed and looking for a job.
Source: ABS 2016